Guidelines for Healthy Mothers and
- During pregnancy and lactation additional 300 calories
and 500 calories are recommended.
- Diet should be rich in protein, vitamins and minerals
specially calcium, iron and vitamins, especially folic acid.
- For additional iron requirements, food stuff like green
leafy vegetables, whole pulses, eggs, meat, should be consumed
along with vitamin C rich foods for effective ultilisation
- Avoid heavily spiced and flavored foods.
- Intake of milk products, egg, meat, green vegetables,
citrus fruits, yellow fruits and vegetables is essential
to meet the increased energy, protein, calcium, vitamin,
A and C requirements during lactation.
- Monitor the growth of the child up to 6 years of age.
- A healthy growing infant child should gain height and
- A healthy growing infant normally doubles his birth weight
in 5-6 months and triples his birth weight by the time he
is10-12 months old. In the first year, there is an increase
of 18-22 cms in babies' length.
- To monitor growth of children after 1 year, the following
height and weight table can be referred:
Height and Weight of Healthy Growing